Re: [Exim] whitelisting domains from rbl checking

Author: Jeff Lasman
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] whitelisting domains from rbl checking
On Saturday 03 January 2004 02:13 am, Tim Jackson wrote:

> I think someone else has helped with your whitelisting,

I've gotten several good ideas both on and offlist, so I'm moving
forward <smile>.

> but in the
> meantime can I suggest you remove bl.spamcop.net from your list?

Probably not. But only because in my experience using SpamCop for about
two years on a much-less configurable Sendmail server I've been very
happy with it and have averaged exactly one false positive a year
across approximately 30 hosted domains.

> Although useful, it's very likely to cause you a significant number
> of false positives (and hence likely to upset people). Much better to
> just assign a modest spam score to it if you're using SpamAssassin.

I do use SpamAssassin as a second level of defense. But frankly I'm
happy using RBLs as they're meant to be used.

Our clients are mostly not technically savvy, and in general they prefer
to not get the spam rather than get it marked as spam.

Or at least that's what they tell us.

We will allow them the option of opting out of RBLs, and of opting out
of SpamAssassin, as soon as we figure out how to describe the options
in a non-threatening user-friendly way <smile>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA 92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation