Re: [Exim] whitelisting domains from rbl checking

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] whitelisting domains from rbl checking
On Sat, 3 Jan 2004, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

>           deny hosts = +rbl_hosts
>                [...]
>                dnslists = bl.spamcop.net : spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net
>                dnslists = relays.ordb.org : list.dsbl.org  [..etc..]
>                [...]

I realise that I could have been a bit more communicative here ;-)

           deny hosts = +rbl_hosts
              message = Your mail host $sender_host_address is blacklisted in \
                 $dnslist_domain as well as in $acl_m4 [...]
               dnslists = bl.spamcop.net : spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net
               set acl_m4 = $dnslist_domain
               dnslists = relays.ordb.org : list.dsbl.org

Note the use of an acl_mN variable to hold the first $dnslist_domain
temporarily for inclusion in the report.

That's assuming you want to be helpful to innocent senders who
inadvertently fall foul of the test. The general feeling is that
actual spammers don't bother to read the diagnostics, so it does no
great harm to offer a modest level of information in the rejection
message. Even if you don't want to do that, the technique could be
equally useful for developing a log_message

best regards