RE: [Exim] Any benefits to having exim use the SIZE command?

Author: Eli
To: 'Wakko Warner'
CC: 'Exim User's Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [Exim] Any benefits to having exim use the SIZE command?
Hm yes I guess that would be quite useful, however like you said most MUAs
don't send the SIZE paramater, and I would really only see spammers or
outside unknown users sending inbound messages that I would want to block
due to message size - and if they don't specify SIZE, I'd have to wait until
DATA time to filter it out anyways.

I was more wondering about its uses as exim acts as a client though - since
that's when exim uses SIZE itself. I was reading somewhere that if a
message is modified enough to change it's size more than size_addition (in
an smtp transport), exim won't know the proper size of the message - I'm not
sure if any of that is really what was written down though :P It concerns
me though because if I have SpamAssasin running or something, and it tags a
message as spam and redoes the message, and then goes to deliver it, but the
user has forwarding enabled outbound, so exim handles it on it's smpt
transport, I wouldn't want exim failing to send it since the message was
rewritten by SA enough to throw off the SIZE value so much that it can't
send it any more (if the remote smpt server supports SIZE that is).

Eli.