Re: [Exim] Any benefits to having exim use the SIZE command?

Author: Wakko Warner
To: Eli
CC: 'Exim User's Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Any benefits to having exim use the SIZE command?
> I am wondering what, if any, benefits or added features or whatever are
> gained by the additional use of the SIZE command/paramater in a MAIL
> command?
>
> I ask because of all the different issues regarding size changes to messages
> when the SIZE paramater is used, it almost seems like it would be generally
> better to disable the use of SIZE altogether - but I wouldn't want to do
> this if I lose other functionality.

On the MUA side, some client's don't send it. One use I can see is for a
server to refuse mail because the size is too big before wasting the
bandwidth to send it.

I setup the server at work to check this at mail and data time. At data
time, the damage is already done (bandwidth wise and transfer time), but it
won't go further if it's too big (wasting more bandwidth/time/disk
space/whatever)