[Exim] EHLO and FQDN problem for outgoing mail

Author: Vincent Lefevre
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] EHLO and FQDN problem for outgoing mail
I'm using Exim 4.30 on my Debian machine. The problem is that Exim
uses "ay" in the EHLO command, and this isn't a FQDN though on my
machine:

ay:~> hostname --fqdn
ay.vinc17.org
ay:~> uname -n
ay.vinc17.org

It seems that for the EHLO command, Exim uses the "mailname" used for
address rewriting instead of the FQDN.

Moreover, in the source, readconf.c contains:

[...]
/* The primary host name may be required for expansion of spool_directory
and log_file_path, so make sure it is set asap. It is obtained from uname(),
but if that yields an unqualified value, make a FQDN by using gethostbyname to
canonize it. Some people like upper case letters in their host names, so we
don't force the case. */

if (primary_hostname == NULL)
  {
  uschar *hostname;
  struct utsname uts;
  if (uname(&uts) < 0)
    log_write(0, LOG_MAIN|LOG_PANIC_DIE, "uname() failed to yield host name");
  hostname = US uts.nodename;

  if (Ustrchr(hostname, '.') == NULL)
    {
[...]

I think that the test for an unqualified value should also be performed
on primary_hostname, i.e. something like:

if (primary_hostname == NULL || Ustrchr(primary_hostname, '.') == NULL)

This would probably solve the problem.

You can have more details here:

Any comment?

Note: my machine is on a private network (at the moment); it is normal
that ay.vinc17.org isn't resolvable (I just had to choose a FQDN).

Happy new year,

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent@???> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/> - 100%
validated (X)HTML - Acorn Risc PC, Yellow Pig 17, Championnat International