RE: [Exim] Inbound Hosts without valid rDNS

Author: Tony Earnshaw
Subject: RE: [Exim] Inbound Hosts without valid rDNS
tir, 30.12.2003 kl. 17.38 skrev Eli:

> Also, the 2 main differing opinions/arguments are coming from people with
> different perspectives on it. I come from the large company perspective
> (and I think Wakko may come from there as well), and Greg and Tony seem to
> come from the end user perspective where they expect to get full control
> over everything.

Just for the record, I've been responsible for setting up DNS for
everything from a company with a single external zone, to a company with
30 external zones/domains and a number (split DNS) of internal domains.

To get a dot-nl domain delegated by your upstream ISP, your name server
first has to be tested by the Dutch top-level-domain authority,
Stichting Domeinregistratie. If said name server does not handle reverse
lookups (amongst umpteen other "traps" that a DNS admin can fall into)
properly, you do not get your delegation.

When you're dealing with an upstream ISP like UUNET, that doesn't give
one iota for customer service and takes weeks of thumping before it even
replies to a single query, you very soon learn to do things properly.
When you can do so (including coping with rfc2317), you're too proud to

--Tonni

--
mail: billy - at - billy.demon.nl
http://billy.demon.nl