Re: [Exim] Inbound Hosts without valid rDNS

Author: Tim Jackson
Subject: Re: [Exim] Inbound Hosts without valid rDNS
Hi Eli, on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 11:38:29 -0500 you wrote:

[I'm not taking any sides in the whole reverse DNS debate but irrelevant
of the rights or wrongs, it seems to me that it helps everyone if
forward/reverse DNS are set up to be complete and consistent so surely
that can be agreed on as a good goal, even if practical difficulties can
sometimes, unfortunately, stand in the way of it being achieved?]

> I have a system, it will be called "server.domain.com". It hosts my
> website, and it also hosts my email. It has IP 10.0.0.1. You'd all say
> that reverse DNS for 10.0.0.1 should return "server.domain.com" - which
> so far would be correct. Now say I make a pointer for that system
> called"mail.domain.com" since it also hosts mail, and I want it to have
> a different name when dealing with email. Now what happens with reverse
> DNS? The server reports itself (when doing mail transactions) as
> "mail.domain.com", which has an IP of 10.0.0.1, but if you reverse that,
> you get "server.domain.com" - all of a sudden it all appears broken!

Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but how about just adding a
second PTR record for 10.0.0.1 pointing to "mail.domain.com"?

Tim