Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-sm…

Author: Dan Egli
To: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: LIST - Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-smarthost fails
Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
| On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 04:47:07PM -0700, Dan Egli wrote:

|>    Yes a lot of people block dynamic IPs because spammers use them
|>frequently. I understand that. But when you don't trust your ISP's mail
|>server any farther than you can throw it, and they are the ONLY high
|>speed ISP you have access to, it does leave quite a problem. The
|

| Your problem, not ours.

| Tell me, in good, plain, english why I should trust your mailserver than
| someone running windows with an open relay that he doesn't even know

exists
| on the same cable ISP?

| When I hear a good argument that convinces me why I should, I'll

reconsider
| my policy of dialup users. I've yet to hear a good one, though.

This is my point! Because there is no way to know my server vs some
iddiot with an open relay, (at least, not on the first communication)
that is why I think it would be nice to have the ability to route failed
messages to a smarthost so that they can be delivered that way, if
possible. I'd say a good 85% of the 5xx's I get are from DUL blocks.

DON'T have it be a default option! Make it something that must be
explicitly configured.

- --- Dan