Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-sm…

Author: Dan Egli
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian, LIST - Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim4 smart host - how to use it only when non-smarthost fails
Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
| Dan Egli writes on 12/29/2003 6:47 PM:

|>     I can see your point, but perhaps you can see ours. For example, my
|> ISP's mail server (I'm on a cable modem) is SOO SLOW... I can LITTERALLY

| What you can do is to use your cable ISP only for connectivity and
| sending out mail through a remote mta that is run by people with more
| clue, that you trust (using auth and tls to relay your mail out through
| the smarthost).

| http://www.pobox.com is a service tailormade for this kind of situation.

|     srs

But services like POBox have three issues:

1) They CHARGE. I'm a poor student working part time trying to pay the
bills with a family. I cannot really afford even the $15/yr.

2) They want you to have your address as <whatever>@pobox.com. If I'm
going through all the effort of running a MTA, I don't want people to
have to worry about relaying through someone else just to get to me. I
want them to be able to contact me directly.

3) they put limitations on things that I might not want. For example,
PoBox limits emails to 10MB. I ROUTINELY send/receive 25+ mb messages
to/from my employer. If I send a full source tree update, it's usually
about 20MB BEFORE encoding. If we assume the standard encoding rate of
the encoded message being 4/3 the physical size of the unencoded
attachment, that puts it at around 26-27MB.

Now luckily for me, my employer's ISP does not block my IP. But if I
need to send mail to someon not on my employer's ISP, I can run into issues.

- --- Dan