Re: [Exim] Rbl checking

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rbl checking
Hi Jeff, on Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:14:02 -0800 you wrote:

> I'm brand new to Exim 4, and I must admit I got it through my Control
> Panel packager. I do own an Exim (tree-killer) book, but it's for
> version 3.

It would be well worth buying the new (tree-killer) book for Exim 4, since
things have changed substantially since then.

> I'm also studying the documentation on the Internet,

Presumably the Exim 'specification' file?

> I've got a section called "begin acl" in my exim.conf file; it contains
> two ACLs, check_recipient and check_message.

I'm not familiar with CPanel, but I'm guessing it has a customised file.
Just a little suggestion: try downloading the Exim source tarball, and
getting the default Exim config file from there; it is heavily commented
and even without the specification file to hand, it will quickly introduce
a basic, working config including ACLs

> <snip>
> require verify = sender
> </snip>
> Where do I put this?

Wherever you want, probably in the RCPT ACL. You don't need a separate ACL
for it. The thing about ACLs is that there are few "hard and fast" rules
about what goes where: it's largely up to you. Again, look at the default
(real, not CPanel) Exim config to see a sensible default.

ACLs are the real backbone of Exim 4 (as I see it) so it's well worth
studying the default config and the "ACL" section of the documentation to
understand how they work, and the different ACLs that are available (mail,
rcpt, data etc.). As you'll see from this list, there are all kinds of
weird, wonderful and powerful things you can do with them, especially with
the RCPT ACL which is where most "policy control" checks normally go.

> And do you know of any RBL with a test I can use to see if it's working?

Most DNSBLs will return positive if you test them with an address of
127.0.0.1, which may be helpful - or just add a * record to one of your
DNS zone files which returns 127.0.0.1 and query that.

Tim