Re: [Exim] non-printing character 10

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jan Suchanek
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] non-printing character 10
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Jan Suchanek wrote:

> lreject:
>    driver = autoreply
>    user = exim
>    from = mailadmin
>    to = $h_from
>    subject = "Re: $h_subject"

> In the "from" is a return:
>
> Expansion of "$h_from" in lreject transport contains non-printing
> character 10
>
> First of all I would like to understand where the problem is here... As
> far as I know it is perfectly legal to have a "return" in the FROM-Header...

Provided that it is followed by a space or a tab. The code in Exim is
supposed to check for this. Of course, it may be buggy. (Actually, it
*is* buggy; I see I have used "isspace()" instead of testing for space
or tab. I'll fix that.) Noted to check this out in due course.

Are you sure the \n in $h_from was followed by space?

> Secondly it would be nice to find a way to prevent the transport to bail
> out as soon as such address comes through. I found something in the
> lists that you could use "escape" to make it a little saver (but only in
> the filter?)...

Workaround:

to = ${tr{$h_from:}{\n}{ }}