Re: [Exim] TMDA

Author: Nigel Metheringham
Subject: Re: [Exim] TMDA
On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 10:35, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:18:23AM +0000, Mike Meredith wrote:
> > A significant number of anti-spam people *hate* challenge-response
> > systems. I haven't looked at TMDA to see if it overcomes the problems
> > (and I don't believe it's possible).
>
> There's no coincidence that we refer to them as:
> Challenge-Response Authentication Programs (abbrev. CRAP).

Heh.

I think they probably have a place in the general mail system toolbox,
but it is *not* a large place.

For example I have considered front ending the lists with a TDMA like
system - I am not averse to making mailing list posters, who are aiming
to put their messages before a few thousand recipients, jump through
extra hoops, and I am definitely not averse to reducing the crap load of
moderated entries that I wade through on a daily basis. Its also a very
good place to add a warning that the message will go to lots of people
and will be permanently archived - which might (but almost certainly
won't) cut down on the requests I get from people who wish the archives
edited.

The few times I have responded to a mailing list post to someone's
personal address and hit a TDMA like system I have just shrugged and
moved on without responding.

    Nigel.