MORE INFO Re: [Exim] timeouts during mail delivery?

Author: Jeff Lasman
To: exim-users
Subject: MORE INFO Re: [Exim] timeouts during mail delivery?
I got an offlist reply from a helpful gent who tried using telnet to
simulate a smtp connection to my server.

I won't copy his email verbatim, so as to protect his privacy, but he
did say:

<snip>
I did a quick test from a mail server I have access to right now and
after
I entered the Mail from: line, I never got a response back.
</snip>

He points out he doesn't have rDNS on that box and asks if I'm checking
for that or anything else.

Frankly, I don't know <frown>.

I don't see anything in the exim.conf file that allows me to set or
unset rDNS lookup.

He asks me what my logs show, and though I've looked I don't see any
entry for his IP#, for his ehlo domain, for his recpt from address, or
even for the time my server returned.

Is there some way I can have exim give me greater logging detail? I
don't know where to start if connections aren't logged.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Or at least point me in some
meaningful direction? I just don't have enough exim experience to know
where to look.

FWIW, I'm no longer quite sure it's a timing problem, but I've set the
smtp timeout from the default up to 5 minutes and it's still not coming
through.

Thanks!

Jeff