Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol

Author: Jonathan Vanasco
To: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: Kevin Reed, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] I )(*#$ hate aol
They could only tunnel from server X port 8001 and 8002 to port 80 on
servers Y and Z respectively. The only way that exim factors into this
situation is that they send email to ip addresses and not to hostnames
-- something I needed help getting configured into my current setup.

I spoke to AOL on the phone. It has nothing to do with mail -- they're
blocking all servers they believe to offer web proxy services from
sending them email, to strongarm people into keeping them from being
potential future security risks. Their programming staff seem to be a
bunch of mindless codemonkeys with degrees from DeVry though. Their
server incorrectly detected ours to offer open proxy services. We do
have proxies, but they are specific and tightly guarded. Their web
services don't function at all either -- half of their 'am i a proxy'
checks will not accept any sort of input, and none of their 'email me a
response' automated tools work.

"Spam delivered after smtp auth and over tls is still spam :)" -- True
-- but its got to be sent to be spam, or have an actual possibility to
be spam to be a threat.