Re: [Exim] Large queue sizes - big directories - and Reiser …

Author: Marc Perkel
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: Re: [Exim] Large queue sizes - big directories - and Reiser File System
Actually there are two different elements I'm referring to here; small
file advantages - and large directory advantages of the Reiser file syste.

As to small files - Reise has something called suballocation allowing
small files to share the same block. It ends up reducing total storage
by 5-10%.

Where the real advantage is in handling large directories. If you have
1,000,000 file in a directory, and you try to open the "last one" then
under ext2 you would have to compare 1,000,000 file names before you can
open the file. This is where Exim runs into a wall when queues grow to
be huge.

With Reiser - since it is built on a b-tree database when you go to open
the file - it's almost instant. And that's the real advantage as it
applies to Exim. Also - Reiser never runs out of inodes.