[Exim] Re: Large queue sizes - big directories - and Reiser …

Author: Miquel van Smoorenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: Large queue sizes - big directories - and Reiser File System
In article <3FCF68AB.2070900@???>,
Marc Perkel <marc@???> wrote:
>Where the real advantage is in handling large directories. If you have
>1,000,000 file in a directory, and you try to open the "last one" then
>under ext2 you would have to compare 1,000,000 file names before you can
>open the file. This is where Exim runs into a wall when queues grow to
>be huge.
>
>With Reiser - since it is built on a b-tree database when you go to open
>the file - it's almost instant. And that's the real advantage as it
>applies to Exim. Also - Reiser never runs out of inodes.

Current ext3 has indexed directories. I think you can even turn it
on on existing filesystems, no need to backup, rebuild filesystem,
restore. See mke2fs / tune2fs manpages. OTOH I think it's only in
the 2.6 kernels at this point. Most people don't want to run a
mailserver on 2.6. But just FYI..

Mike.