[Exim] Large queue sizes - big directories - and Reiser File…

Author: Marc Perkel
To: 'exim-users@exim.org'
Subject: [Exim] Large queue sizes - big directories - and Reiser File System
For those of you who are suffering for slow server when you get 100,000
+ messages in the queue and want to know what you can do to speed up
your server - dump ext2/ext3 and go with the reiser file system.

Reiser is far faster than ext2/ext3 in every test except for copying
large single files it slightly slower. Reiser is a journaling file
system and you can pull the plug on your server and it comes right back
up. Reiser is a file system built on top of a database making it
extremely fast for looking up files. It has infinite inodes so you never
run out.

Where Reiser really shines is on large directories with small files.
Like what happens with big mail queues where some spammer has filled you
up with thousands of bounce messages to non-existent email addresses.
Reise can be a hundred times faster in those situations.

I've seen people using all kinds of tricks here to reduce directory size
and I'm sure that makes a big difference on ext2/ext3 but if you go with
reiser - the problem goes away.

Most kernels already support reiser. All you have to do is create the
partition. Redhat doesn't give you that option in it's install menu but
supports it if you already have one. So - for redhat users - ihere's
what you do:

Before you install use fdisk to create partitions. I create 3 as follows:

/dev/hda1 - /boot - 40 megs
/dev/hda2 - swap - 1 gig
/dev/hda3 - / (root) - rest of drive

Then I run:

mkreiserfs /dev/hda3

and that's it for reiser. I leave the /boot partition as ext2 because
reiser isn't good for small partitions. So for the other two partitions,

mke2fs /dev/hda1
mkswap /dev/hda2

Seriously though - if you do this your disk speed problems will go away.
Reiser is super reliable and I wouldn't want to run a server without it.