Re: [Exim] Malware and Spam Scanning in an ISP environment w…

Author: Marc Haber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Malware and Spam Scanning in an ISP environment with "Mandantenfaehigkeit"
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:17:41 +0000 (GMT), Philip Hazel
<ph10@???> wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Marc Haber wrote:
>> pipe delivery and re-submit:
>> - exim -bt only shows the pipe delivery instead of the real target
>
>You should add address_test=false to the router that sets up the pipe.

I wasn't aware of that. Last time I looked at this possibility, we had
exim 3.1, IIRC:

>> system filter:
>> - runs at the start of every delivery attempt
>> - re-scans queued message on each queue run
>
>You should add "if not first_delivery then finish" at the start of
>your filter.

AFAIR, this won't re-scan if the scanner failed on the first scanning
attempt.

>> I think it would be a good idea if it would be possible to have a
>> local_scan_late function which is called after exim has taken
>> responsibility for the message and the SMTP transaction has been
>> completed. The API would be the same, with the sole difference that
>> the REJECT return codes of the function would cause a delivery failure
>> which would in turn result in a bounce being generated.
>
>This is effectively a "system filter" with a different API.

No, since the system filter is called on the beginning of every
delivery attempt.

>> Philip, would you consider applying a patch to exim that adds a
>> local_scan-to-Milter-Interface to exim? Thanks for your consideration.
>
>I don't know anything about milter, but I have the impression that it is
>a daemon that listens on a socket? Is this right?

AFAIN, yes.

>If so, it should not
>be too hard to write an interface for it. This has in fact been on the
>Wish List for quite a long time.

Great.

Greetings
Marc