Re: [Exim] Multi-A dnslists

Author: Chris Edwards
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multi-A dnslists
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Philip Hazel wrote:

| From the ChangeLog for 4.21:

| 35. If a DNS black list lookup returned more than one A record, Exim ignored
|     all but the first. It now scans all returned addresses if a particular IP
|     value is being sought. In this situation, the contents of the
|     $dnslist_value variable are a list of all the addresses, separated by a
|     comma and a space.

Oh why didn't I spot that myself - sigh.

| > But what about:
| >
| > dnslists = bl.example.org!=xxx
| >
| > Is this true only if *no* A record equals xxx ??

| Yes; != is precisely the negation of = in this context. Exactly the same
| code is obeyed in each case - then the answer is negated for !=.

OK thanks - makes perfect sense!

FWIW this came up as we are looking to score SORBS responses differently.
We're very keen to get the dynablock info (127.0.0.10) but wary of the
spam sources list (126.0.0.6) as the criteria is rather broad and quite a
few ISP smarthosts are currently listed, such as BT, NTL etc.

http://www.dnsbl.au.sorbs.net/using.html

--
Chris Edwards, Glasgow University Computing Service