Re: [Exim] Multi-A dnslists

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Chris Edwards
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Multi-A dnslists
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Chris Edwards wrote:

> Some composite DNSBLs e.g. sorbs (www.sorbs.net) return multiple A records
> where an IP is guilty of multiple offences. This is different from
> the bitmask response used by RBL+, blitzed and others.
>
> Can anyone help me clarify exim's behaviour in the multi-A case ?

From the ChangeLog for 4.21:

35. If a DNS black list lookup returned more than one A record, Exim ignored
    all but the first. It now scans all returned addresses if a particular IP
    value is being sought. In this situation, the contents of the
    $dnslist_value variable are a list of all the addresses, separated by a
    comma and a space.

> I assume that:
>
> dnslists = bl.example.org=xxx
>
> is true if any of the A records returned equals xxx.

Yup.

> But what about:
>
> dnslists = bl.example.org!=xxx
>
> Is this true only if *no* A record equals xxx ??

Yes; != is precisely the negation of = in this context. Exactly the same
code is obeyed in each case - then the answer is negated for !=.