Re: [Exim] Exim and RFC 2821 compliance token:201ce6be1e4ee8…

Author: Walt Reed
To: Ken Lowther
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim and RFC 2821 compliance token:201ce6be1e4ee8b816008ad52cb06cde:JXr(JcSd
On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 07:39:19AM -0500, Ken Lowther said:

> > (CCNA),

> > > Not much IMHO. Personally, I have found that people touting their
> > > certificates (especially in a sig) do so because they don't have much
> > > (or any) real-world experience. Maybe it makes them feel more secure,
> > > or more important. I certianly wound't hire such a person.
> > >

> > If you ask me, they are worth absolutely nothing, especially if we take this
> > guy as an example. They still continue to do this though, the problem is not
> > with the cave dwellers who do this, but the people who encourage this, they
> > are called Human Resources departments.
> >

> Education and training "worth absolutely nothing"? You guys are tough! So many
> people qualified to throw that first stone now days. :( I guess this is
> easier than emailing the guy a heads up.

Hmm. I wouldn't say they are worth nothing, but they are NOT a
substitute for experience. MCSE's and such are not formal degrees. All
you need to do is read a book and pass a test. You don't need any
real-world experience to do that - any 14 year old can pass the MCSE.
Cicso's courses are better and they do make you do a little more to get
the cert, but not by a huge margin.

These certs listed on a resume of a person that also has experience is
fine. I also don't have a problem with someone going out and getting a
cert. I may hire someone with lots of certs and no experience as maybe a
junior desktop support person, swapping backup tapes, changing printer
toner, etc. Wouldn't have a prayer of getting the root or enable
password on anything though until he has proven himself.

My big beef is with people that list them all as part of a sig. This
case is even worse: it's an autoresponder.