Re: [Exim] FreeBSD, Exim and Spamassassin.

Author: Mike Richardson
To: Steve Lamb
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] FreeBSD, Exim and Spamassassin.
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 08:11:00AM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> This is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message (RFC 2440 and 3156)
> --
> Mike Richardson wrote:
> > If you are talking about mailhubs then don't bother, it is more hassle
> > than it is worth.
>
>      I dunno, seeing our mail servers deliver several thousands of spam to
> people who simply don't want it and aren't technically inclined enough to
> handle it themselves leads me to believe otherwise.  I'd certainly consider
> some manner of stemming the tide if for no other reason than to reduce the
> number of overall deliveries and reduce the clogging of the queue by bounces.
>   At some point just letting it all through is less effective.

>      Also I think anyone who isn't doing scanning with a virus scanner, both
> inbound and outbound, after SoBig and SWEN should forcably have their server
> removed from them, period.  SoBig only ended because it was designed to end.
> SWEN is still hitting me for close to 200 a day that I haven't blocked.  Who
> knows how many they're hitting me on the several hundred IPs I have blocked.

Virus scanning is easy compared to spam scanning. When we added Sophos and
Sophie the change in resource usage wasn't noticable, even during
August/September (we caught 1 million Sobigs.) However Spam assassin was
definitely a big hit on resources.

I personally don't like the idea of content filtering on the hubs because
a) users have no control over what test are done and for what.
b) users have no control over the threshold we pick for them
c) we can't teach the system what individuals class as spam
d) false positives happen
e) there is a move to stop tagging and start rejecting 'for the good of
everyone'.

Mix all these together and you have censorship with no ability to
opt out.

I know that some of the above could be fixed but we really don't have
the time or effort to do the work necessary on the exim config etc.

Desktop tools return the control to the users.

Mike
--
-----Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival.------
Copyright 2003       Mike Richardson, Room G98, Manchester Computing