RE: [Exim] nuances with configuration - newbie

Author: Ted Cooper
To: cgmckeever, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] nuances with configuration - newbie
> Just got our exim mail server up, and it is running
> beautifully. There are two nuances that I would like to try
> to resolve.

Cool.

> First, in the log file, this continually pops up: no host
> name found for IP address 192.168.1.15

You are going to need a reverse DNS lookup for that IP address before
that goes away. If you have reverse DNS for all zones you have control
over you'll notice your linux box speeding up.

> Second, from a command promt, if I type mail root (and then
> continue to send), it bounced with the error:
>
>    This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

>    A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or
> more of its
>    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following
> address(es) failed:

>    root@prupref-mail
>    Unrouteable address

> where prupref-mail is the machine name. I had added to the
> following to the rewrite section, but no luck.
>
> *@prupref-mail $local_part@??? Ffrs
> root@*         website@??? Ffrs

This isn't really an exim problem either. You need to add a qualifying
domain to your resolve.conf (or whatever your distrobution requires)
like..

Search fulldomain.ext
Nameserver 127.0.0.1 192.168.32.42

Of course for all this, you have to be running your own named server.

Ted.