Re: [Exim] relay_domains and verify = recipient

Author: Stephen Gran
To: 'exim-users'
Subject: Re: [Exim] relay_domains and verify = recipient
--
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 03:54:46PM +1000, exim@??? said:
> exim-users-admin@??? wrote:
> > What I want to do is something that is not precisely kosher, but bear
> > with me.
> [snip]
> > relay_domains = dsearch {CONFDIR/relay-domains/}
> > acceptable_users = lsearch {CONFIR/relay-domains/$domain} [snip]
>
> This would work. You would have to be informed of any changes to the
> users on the other domain. To get around this you can use a callout
> when you verify the recipient. Any time an address comes in, it checks
> with the real receiving MTA (exim I hope) to see if the address is
> valid. Check out:
>
> http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.20/doc/html/spec_toc.html#TOC259
>
> As it states - beware that this is a lot more work than just lsearching
> a file full of names, but exim does cache the requests.
>
> Please note that you will either have to play with DNS to get your
> server to see your customers' server as the primary MX, but the rest of
> the world see yours as the primary MX, OR setup a manual route with
> verify for callouts to work for you.

I think that's probably the best solution overall, and I may fall back
to that. The problems I see are these:

I have a manualroute for delivery to the domain I want to do recipient
verification for, and it's uucp, so adding another for callout may mess
with that - at least that's how I understand it.

I have a list of valid users, and it's unlikely to change in the near
future. Also, I am not sure that the real MX MTA is up 24/7, at least
since I've started receiving all of their mail. If a callout fails
because his host is offline, then I will bounce legitimate mail, and I
don't want to do that.

If I could just figure out the syntax for an acl that looks over the
file, I'd be extremely happy.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Fools rush in -- and get the best seats |
|  steve@???             | in the house.                           |