Re: [Exim] hostlist and dynamic IPs

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Rasputin
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] hostlist and dynamic IPs
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Rasputin wrote:

> I add 'host.dyndns.org' to a hostlist I will accept mail from, but
> Exim seems to reverse lookup the hostlist to decide if a sender is
> valid - which doesnt help in this case...

Have you checked using -d -bh? If you have something like

hostlist = host.dyndns.org

Exim should use a forward lookup to find the IP address of that host,
then compare it with the IP address of the calling host. However, if you
use

hostlist = *.dyndns.org

Exim has to do a reverse lookup.

> i.e. if a host a.net is listed, which resolves to 1.2.3.4, then
> accept mail from 1.2.3.4

That should work that way. Check it out using the debugging facilities.