Re: [Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?

Author: Mike Meredith
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 21:04:30 -0700, Avleen Vig wrote:
> Unfortuantely there are (urgh) idiots who are using DNSBL which block
> ALL broadband connection, regardless of if they're business or
> residential connections.

They're not necessarily idiots. It ain't always easy to tell the
difference between business/residential connections, and blocking
broadband connections is a very good way of cutting down spam ... a huge
proportion of such connections will never be running a proper mailserver
anyway.

> What I would *like* to do, is route messages through a smarthost, if
> they're rejected. The obvious problem with this is that the error
> given is usually a 5xx, which is to perm fail messages.

I thought about doing that, but decided that ignoring a permament
failure error and retrying through a smarthost was not just bad
behaviour but dangerously bad behaviour.

--
Mike Meredith, Senior Informatics Officer
University of Portsmouth: Hostmaster, Postmaster and Security