[Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?

Author: Avleen Vig
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?
This is probably a silly question, and it probably breaks RFC. If it
does, please slap me.

I run my own mail server (MX+relay) on the end of a business cable
connection.
Unfortuantely there are (urgh) idiots who are using DNSBL which block
ALL broadband connection, regardless of if they're business or
residential connections.

To the best of my knowledge, I have three options:
1) Live with it. Not my first choice.
2) Each time I find an organisation blocking me, complain to them and
add their MX to a smarthost route list.
3) Route everything through my ISP's relays. This isn't prefered either.

What I would *like* to do, is route messages through a smarthost, if
they're rejected. The obvious problem with this is that the error given
is usually a 5xx, which is to perm fail messages.

Any suggestions?

--
Avleen Vig
Systems Administrator