Re: [Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?

Author: Avleen Vig
To: Matthew Byng-Maddick
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Fallback to smarthost on 5xx?
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 10:23:07AM +0100, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> Consider yourself slapped...

Thanks :) I think I just need a few others to tell me i'm not crazy for
not wanting to ignore 5xx.

> > I run my own mail server (MX+relay) on the end of a business cable
> > connection.
> Right... And, given how many people run Exchange as an open relay on
> "business cable" connections, why should I trust them?

Well, the problem then is that they should be blocked for being an open
relay, not for being on a cable modem.

> > Unfortuantely there are (urgh) idiots who are using DNSBL which block
> > ALL broadband connection, regardless of if they're business or
> > residential connections.
> Why does it make a difference? As far as I'm concerned the two are just
> as likely to be running the above setup. This is based on some experience,
> and I don't think I'm silly in making this judgement.

Not *really*.
I could argue that exchange servers are more likely to be running as
open relays on business connections (how many home users use exchange?).
But your analogy is severely flawed.
Most spam from broadband connections is from trojaned machines, not open
relays.