Re: [Exim] (no subject)

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
CC: Jamie Nudds
Subject: Re: [Exim] (no subject)
Hi Jamie, on Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:30:32 +0100 you wrote:

> 2003-10-10 13:28:49 H=mailrelay1-gui.server.ntli.net [194.168.54.49] F=
> temporarily rejected RCPT : Could not complete sender verify

Since you removed all useful information, one line would have done...

> They say it is an issue with my MX server as it should not be doing a
> sender verfify on there server 194.168.54.49

Your server is not doing a "sender verify" on their server, it is doing
sender verification of the envelope senders of the messages in question.

> and is not looking at the headers correctly in order to get the
> "orginal" sender...

These mails are being temprejected at *RCPT* time, i.e. before the mail
has even been received. Your server cannot *possibly* even be looking at
the headers before they have been received! A basic sender verify (as is
the case here) is verifying the sender in the *SMTP envelope* (not the
message headers). Assuming DNS resolution is working properly from your
mailserver, your server is behaving properly - just ignore the problem.
They will keep retrying the messages until one of the following happens:

- the sender verify completes successfully, and the message is accepted
(at least on the grounds of valid sender)

- the sender verify fails definitively, at which point the message will
be permanently (5xx) rejected.

- their server gets bored of retrying, gives up and bounces the mails.

Whichever happens, it does not require any intervention from you. Your
server is working correctly.

> Are they right??

No, they are talking nonsense.

Tim