Re: [Exim] Avoiding frozen spam

Author: Chris Meadors
To: Exim
Subject: Re: [Exim] Avoiding frozen spam
On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 18:04, Giuliano Gavazzi wrote:

> I don't see any other brilliant solution, except that you can give a
> mean, in your rejection message, to send the administrator a message
> (note, against all RFC I *do* filter postmaster email, albeit with a
> higher tolerance than other accounts).

Do you get spam at your postmaster account? I notice see any on mine
(of course it is aliased to an account that gets plenty, and it may be
lost in the noise). I don't list it anywhere, but with the username
dictionary matching that spammers seem to use (if a username is at one
domain they try it at others). I would expect to see just as much there
as any other common names (I had to kill chris@).

I have a friend who collects stamps, he saw the postmaster name, and
thought it was cool. So when he got his own domain, he uses that
address for everything. I was asking him one time, to pay attention to
how much spam he gets there. It turned out to be remarkably less than
any other usernames he had.

So I've wondered if spammers are smart enough to avoid sending mail to
that address. Or am I giving them too much credit?

--
Chris