Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Avleen Vig
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql
Avleen Vig wrote:

>>(2) As has been said already, you should optimize disk hardware
>>performance (e.g. by putting hints on RAM disk, etc.)
>
> This helps to a point, yes :)

Have you tried to REALLY analyze the problem?
Exim releases the locks ASAP, so this shouldn't be a REAL problem.

Don't think the an SQL database will sol

> The advantage I can think of is not having to lock the entire db to do a
> write.
> Also, the current db is a straight hash iirc. Would a b-tree be more
> efficient for this? I'm jsut thinking about ways to squeeze that little

Don't think so, maybe it would be better to increase the hash-size in
exim a bit. The problem with B-Trees is, that you have to jump around in
the file quite often, with hashes you either have direct access, or
direct access plus a linear-search.

> extra performance out of Exim :-)
> The locking problem is something I have run in to and have to work with
> regularly :-/

Tried another db-lib yet (tdb)?

Nico

--
I think it's a new feature.  Don't tell anyone it was an accident.  :-)
         --Larry Wall on s/foo/bar/eieio in <10911@???>