Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: exim-users
CC: Philip Hazel
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim's databases and sql
Philip Hazel wrote:

> But a thought has occurred to me. Exim does its own locking, because it
> was originally implemented for ndbm and then DB 1.85, which are both
> relatively simple DBM libraries. Nowadays, a lot of people are using DB
> 4, which is a much bigger and more complicated beast. It does have some
> internal locking features. One of the items on the Wish List is to

Started a patch a long time ago, but this needs a lot of changes, so the
best would be a rewrite of the DBM-code. (IMHO) *SIGH*

> Another alternative is, of course, NOT to use the big-featured DB 4, but
> instead to go back to 1.85, or to use a simpler DBM library such as tdb.
> Running some tests on those libraries might also be interesting.

I'm using tdb with since ages, it's stable, and you don't have to care
about different db-libs/headers. It also provides a feaure named
chanlocking,
that allows a finer grained locking. And as far as I know it allows
multiple writers.

Nico

--
I dunno, I dream in Perl sometimes...