Re: [Exim] No sender in "Received from <>"

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Markus Fischer
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] No sender in "Received from <>"
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Markus Fischer wrote:

>    So this means, a bounce message is directed to a local user which
>    does not exist.

>    Therefore, exim freezes the message. It is informing the postmaster
>    (me) because it's configured that way "freeze_tell = postmaster".

>    However, the manual states:
>    "If freeze_tell is set, Exim generates a warning message whenever it
>    freezes something, unless the message it is freezing is a bounce
>    message."

The documentation is wrong. What it should say is "unless the message it
is freezing is a locally_generated bounce message".

The reason for the omission is to stop loops; this danger exists only
for locally-generated bounces.

Thanks for posting this. I have made a note to correct the manual for
the next edition.