Re: [Exim] No sender in "Received from <>"

Author: Markus Fischer
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] No sender in "Received from <>"
On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 09:42:09AM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote :
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 09:22, Markus Fischer wrote:
> [NB these must be message logs, not main logs]
> >     What is catching my attention is the string

> >         Received from <>

> >     This line is empty. How can this happen?

> Its a bounce message - they are always sent with an empty envelope
> sender - see RFC2821.

    Thanks; I found the explaination in section 3.7.

    So this means, a bounce message is directed to a local user which
    does not exist.

    Therefore, exim freezes the message. It is informing the postmaster
    (me) because it's configured that way "freeze_tell = postmaster".

    However, the manual states:
    "If freeze_tell is set, Exim generates a warning message whenever it
    freezes something, unless the message it is freezing is a bounce
    message."

    So to me it looks like it's sending a freezing message although the
    received message is abounce; which in this case it shouldn't send a
    freeze message.

    am I still missing something?

    thank,

    - Markus