Re: [Exim] exim port (freebsd) documentation issue

Author: Sheldon Hearn
To: Oliver Eikemeier
CC: Mark Foster, exim-users
New-Topics: [Exim] Hose your FreeBSD system!
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim port (freebsd) documentation issue
On (2003/09/25 14:03), Oliver Eikemeier wrote:

> >However, I'll keep my eyes open. If it turns out that other people find
> >this confusing, I may spell it out in the POST-INSTALL-NOTES. :-)
>
> How about a switch-to-exim.sh script?
> /usr/local/share/examples/exim/2exim.sh
> ... what would be an appropriate name?
>
> -> we want to make the transition to exim as easy as possible, won't we?

With apologies to Einstein, we want to make it as simple as possible,
but no simpler. :-)

If there are things that we currently leave up to the operator that can
be done in a fail-safe way by the system, great. Those things that
can't be done in a fail-safe way should be left to the operator.

Editing /etc/mailer.conf is one thing (and it's a thing that sysinstall
does now), but switch-to-exim.sh? That has the potential to be a
complex task that a human operator should perform.

Ciao,
Sheldon.