Re: [Exim] Generic System Filter

Author: Nigel Metheringham
To: Griffiths M (ISeLs)
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Generic System Filter
On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:06, Griffiths M (ISeLs) wrote:
> We are currently using Nigel's generic Exim system filter to reject attachments
> with the "usual-suspect" extensions and it seems to work fine. Yesterday however
> we had one message pass straight through it.

They do that. Thats why I no longer support it...

> The filter is working for other ".exe's" but the one included below managed to bypass it.
>
> Can anybody, who understands the reg. exp. within the filter, care to possibly suggest
> why this has happened.

The version that hit the list has been flattened into text/plain by the
list de-mimer. However most likely its down to the filter not scanning
far enough into the message - you have a preceding text/plain, text/html
and image/gif parts, so if you are just scanning 10KB or less into the
file you will not get far enough to see the binary.

You've also triggered an avalanche of list bounces due to some very
strange virus scanners around :-(
Its a real shame that the messages are generally insufficiently well
formed for the bounce hander to just unsub the list members behind these
gateways - when I move to Mailman 2.1x and VERP this will happen :-)

    Nigel.