Re: [Exim] partial matching and address lists, documentation…

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Artur Meski
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] partial matching and address lists, documentation undrestanding
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Artur Meski wrote:

> *.fremen.net     userx

> It worked. Of course 'partial-' prefix was present before lookup type.
>
> How should I understand the following lines from Exim documentation?:
>
> Note: Partial matching is not available for query-style lookups. It is
> also not available for any lookup items in address lists (see section
> 10.13).

A "query-style" lookup is a database lookup (nisplus, mysql, ldap, etc).
Partial matching is not available for these lookups.

You are presumably using lsearch or dbm or cdb, which are "single-key"
lookups. For those kinds of lookup, partial matching IS supported, as
you have discovered.

> Is it so, that partial matching won't work only for addresses at
> the right side of the file (and will work for domains at the left
> side) or I shouldn't use it at all?

I am not sure to what you are referring when you ask about partial
matching "at the right hand side of the file". There is no matching done
there; that text is the data that is returned by the lookup.