Re: [Exim] Re: How to bypass last Received: server to apply …

Author: Tim Jackson
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: How to bypass last Received: server to apply block lists to previous server
Hi Patrick, on Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:54:10 +0000 (UTC) you wrote:

> However I had to have a big sigh... as people seem to have missed the
> key question I was asking in my original posting. Which is **how we can
> we continue to use _DNS_ black lists**

Someone did answer this: SpamAssassin incorporates checking of Received
headers against IP-based DNSBLs, which probably covers what you want.
(I'm not sure if it can do domain-based ones too).

As exhaustively discussed, however, the "collateral spam" issue is a big
one, and limits your choices (blackholing, filtering into folders...) if
you're going to avoid it.

Frustrating though it may be, the best solution might be to let the
spam/whatever come in for now, but at the same time:

- Make sure that whoever in your company who gets the final say knows what
the solution is (i.e. do this at the gateway), and

- Let your users know who the responsible person is, so that they can
complain to them.

and if it's enough of a problem, then your users will annoy whoever is
ultimately responsible enough that they will do something about it. Not a
particularly elegant solution nor technically sophisticates, but it might
help whoever it is understand the practical implications of the technical
decisions they shouldn't be taking.

Tim