Re: [Exim] How to bypass last Received: server to apply bloc…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] How to bypass last Received: server to apply block lists to previous server
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> Alan J. Flavell [9/20/2003 6:05 PM] :
>
> > But by then it's too late to safely reject mail. You're risking the
> > corporate gateway sending rejection notices to innocent third parties
> > whose addresses were counterfeited by spammers and viruses, for
> > example.
>
> He's committed to that, given the situation he is in.

Yes, I know. That's why it would be better (if such a thing were
feasible) to convince the "suits" that their technical staff should be
taking the technical decisions. But meantime IMHO it does no harm to
spell out the consequences[1]

> It is either that, or trash the mail instead of rejecting / bouncing it.

Or not using a brain-dead corporate gateway.

cheers

[1] Especially at a time like this when we're getting deluged with
bogus v*rus-rejection notices, many of them from corporate gateways:
the blacklist is happy to accept new applications for membership from
clue-impaired corporates ;-)