[Exim] libiconv problem on Solaris

Author: Jim Mozley
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] libiconv problem on Solaris
I am compiling Exim 4.22 on a Sun Sparc Solaris 8 server. I keep seeing the
following error:

gcc -o exim  acl.o child.o crypt16.o daemon.o dbfn.o debug.o deliver.o
directory.o dns.o drtables.o enq.o exim.o expand.o filter.o filtertest.o
globals.o header.o host.o ip.o log.o lss.o match.o moan.o os.o parse.o
queue.o rda.o readconf.o receive.o retry.o rewrite.o rfc2047.o route.o
search.o sieve.o smtp_in.o smtp_out.o spool_in.o spool_out.o store.o
string.o tls.o tod.o transport.o tree.o verify.o local_scan.o  version.o \
  pcre/libpcre.a \
  routers/routers.a transports/transports.a lookups/lookups.a \
  auths/auths.a \
  -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl -lkstat    \

libiconv                            rfc2047.o
libiconv_open                       rfc2047.o
libiconv_close                      rfc2047.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to exim
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [exim] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/opt/source/exim/exim-4.22/build-SunOS5-5.8-sparc'
make: *** [go] Error 2

I have a libiconv package installed, with libraries in /usr/local/lib (I
think this was from sunfreeware.com and was a requirement for something I
cannot remember - sorry). On a Solaris server without this I can build exim
OK. I can build on this server, transfer the source directory tree and
install on the one where my compile fails, but wanted to get to understand
what the issue was and if it would affect running exim on the server were it
wouldn't compile.

Is there a way I can get exim to compile on the server with libiconv? I've
seen HAVE_ICONV=yes in the Makefile-SunOS5 but I don't know what affect
changing this flag will have, assuming this will help.

Jim