Re: [Exim] ACL's, Routers and Transports

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Graham Dodd
CC: exim users
Subject: Re: [Exim] ACL's, Routers and Transports
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Graham Dodd wrote:

> Newbie back again for some clarification, I'm just trying to understand the
> order that events take place and my exim.conf is full of $%"*.
>
> MUA or MTA knock on door 25 and says EHLO
>
> acl_smtp_connect is run, if ok then MAIL command received
> acl_smtp_mail is run, if ok then RCPT command received
> acl_smtp_rcpt is run, if ok then DATA command received
> acl_smtp_data is run, if ok then mail is received by Exim.

Correct. This is the end of an Exim "reception process". The message has
been written to Exim's spool area.

This is point X (see below).

Some time later (may be immediately following, but does not need to be),
in a separate process:

> Received mail is processed by the routers, router determines which transport
> to use, transport delivers message (either local or remote)

TransportS (plural) maybe, if there is more than one recipient.

> In my .conf I have
>
> acl_smtp_rcpt = check_rcpt
> acl_smtp_data = check_data
> acl_smtp_etrn = check_etrn
>
> av_scanner = cmdline:/etc/exim/scanner.sh %s:INFECTED:(.+)
>
> does this mean that the scanner.sh is called after acl_smtp_etrn has run ?

I don't understand this. ETRN has nothing to do with receiving messages,
and av_scanner isn't a standard Exim option.

> At which point in this process does system_filter get run ? The books states
> "runs right at the start of delivery, before the recipient addresses are
> routed", but which part of this process is classed as "start of delivery"

At "point X" above, which is at the start of the delivery process. If it
takes several tries to deliver a message, the system filter is run
several times, at the start of each delivery attempt.