[Exim] Using exim3 to stop HTML-only messages using .forward…

Author: martin
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Using exim3 to stop HTML-only messages using .forward file

Is it possible to add a rule in a .forward file for exim3 to filter out
HTML-only messages?

I would like to have HTML-only messages (i.e. where the list of message
parts in Pine (which is my client) gives only an HTML message rather than
Text or one text and one HTML party) disregarded.

I have access to a .forward file in my home directory to which I've
gradually added various filters. This reads as follows, although I've
snipped out the central section, for brevity:

# Exim filter

if      $message_body contains "Stop mailing here" or
        $message_body contains "recessionspecials" or
[snip lots more lines]
        $header_Subject contains "Prank calls" or
        $header_Subject contains "Quality Logo" or
then
        seen finish
endif

This works fine, but I've noticed the remaining spam which does get
through is practically all HTML-only mail. I am prepared to lose 'real'
HTML-only mail as the amount of it is tiny compared to the amount of spam
being received.

The shell account to which I have access includes (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))
in the headers of incoming messages, so I assume that is the version I am
using; the machine is certainly a Debian machine.

A search for "html only" and "html-only" in the archives for this list
yielded no useful results, nor did several searches using Google for
suitable phrases.

I'd rather have the message simply disappear, as per the present config,
but bouncing would be acceptable instead (which I'd probably prefer for
the present config anyway, so that my e-mail address then appears not to
exist.)

Can anyone suggest a suitable rule, if this is at all possible?

Martin Lucas-Smith **           www.lucas-smith.co.uk
Cambridge          **