Re: [Exim] Using exim3 to stop HTML-only messages using .for…

Author: Odhiambo G. Washington
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Using exim3 to stop HTML-only messages using .forward file
* martin@??? <martin@???> [20030909 12:41]: wrote:
> [Reposted in case this got missed. I'll not repost if no reply.]
>

> Is it possible to add a rule in a .forward file for exim3 to filter out
> HTML-only messages?
>
> I would like to have HTML-only messages (i.e. where the list of message
> parts in Pine (which is my client) gives only an HTML message rather than
> Text or one text and one HTML party) disregarded.
>
> I have access to a .forward file in my home directory to which I've
> gradually added various filters. This reads as follows, although I've
> snipped out the central section, for brevity:
>

> # Exim filter
>
> if      $message_body contains "Stop mailing here" or
>         $message_body contains "recessionspecials" or
> [snip lots more lines]
>         $header_Subject contains "Prank calls" or
>         $header_Subject contains "Quality Logo" or
> then
>         seen finish
> endif

> This works fine, but I've noticed the remaining spam which does get
> through is practically all HTML-only mail. I am prepared to lose 'real'
> HTML-only mail as the amount of it is tiny compared to the amount of spam
> being received.
>
> The shell account to which I have access includes (Exim 3.35 #1 (Debian))
> in the headers of incoming messages, so I assume that is the version I am
> using; the machine is certainly a Debian machine.

You can find that out by typing

exim -bV on the command line ;)

Do you have any chance of updating this Exim to 4.22??? Exim-4.22+Exiscan+
SpamAssassin+Clamav would do wonders in situations like that.
In my situation, we pass mail thro' spamassassing and if the score is over
10, we discard it. If the score is less, we tag it and pass it to the owner.
Maybe you can plead with the admin to update. If not, then procmail is your
best friend.

        cheers
       - wash
Odhiambo Washington                     . WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)  |
<wash at wananchi dot com>              . 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,  |
GSM: (+254) 722 743 223                 . # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI             |
GSM: (+254) 733 744 121                 . (+254) 020 313 985 - 9             |
                         --from a /. post