[Exim] Limiting number of concurrent deliveries

Author: Peter Rabbitson
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Limiting number of concurrent deliveries
Hello all. I am running Exim version 3.35 in conjunction with Mailscanner. I separated the recieve and delivery of mail into
two separate processes in order for the virus scanning to work properly. I am also running a huge mailing list (more than
10000 subscribers) and this is where the problem occurs. When a posting is approved for delivery Mailman starts pumping
messages to the input queue. They are being scanned and passed to the deluvery Exim process. This process for some reason
keeps spawning and spawning children until I don't have good 300 processes running, clogging my connection and resulting in
tons of smtp data timeout errors. I read some documentation for this matter and set `queue_smtp_domains = *` for my outgoing
mailer. Then I run a qrunner every 1 minute. However I still get hundreds of processes like this:

/usr/sbin/exim -C /etc/exim/exim_outgoing.conf -MCS -MCP -MCQ 1540 5 -MC remote_smtp mx.provide.net 2 19tE4B-0000M7-00

How can I limit the number of these children, any ideas?

Regards

Peter