Re: [Exim] Setting up SpamAssassin & Tarpitting on exim 4.22

Author: Dan Egli
To: Kevin P. Fleming
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Setting up SpamAssassin & Tarpitting on exim 4.22
Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
| Dan Egli wrote:

|> Anyone here who's running SpamAssassin care to enlighten me? I.e. where
|> can I get spamd? How to I modify my exim.conf? Etc....

| There are a variety of ways to integrate SpamAssassin into your Exim
| installation. Personally, I use amavisd-new, which offers virus and
| banned filename checking as well, but you could use it only for
| SpamAssassin if you like. It's easy to configure, never loses mail and
| provides good performance. Its only downside is that it does not
| (really, cannot) offer a high level of per-user configurability,
| because it processes the messages at SMTP time, not at local delivery
| time. This means it sees each message once, regardless of how many
| recipients there are (even if some are local and some are remote). On
| my systems, that is not a problem, the common rules work for all the
| users so we don't care. Your mileage may vary :-)

I'm quite familiar with Amavisd-New, using amavisd-0.1 myself. But
amavisd-0.1 doens't integrte with SpamAssasin that I'm aware of and
amavisd-new doens't have the ability to send virus warning messages like
I want it to (to the RECIPIENT, not the "sender"), at least not that
I've seen anyway. So amvsisd-new is not really an option. How would I
implement it otherwise?

- --- Dan