Re: [Exim] Setting up SpamAssassin & Tarpitting on exim 4.22

Author: Kevin P. Fleming
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Setting up SpamAssassin & Tarpitting on exim 4.22
Dan Egli wrote:

> Anyone here who's running SpamAssassin care to enlighten me? I.e. where
> can I get spamd? How to I modify my exim.conf? Etc....

There are a variety of ways to integrate SpamAssassin into your Exim
installation. Personally, I use amavisd-new, which offers virus and
banned filename checking as well, but you could use it only for
SpamAssassin if you like. It's easy to configure, never loses mail and
provides good performance. Its only downside is that it does not
(really, cannot) offer a high level of per-user configurability,
because it processes the messages at SMTP time, not at local delivery
time. This means it sees each message once, regardless of how many
recipients there are (even if some are local and some are remote). On
my systems, that is not a problem, the common rules work for all the
users so we don't care. Your mileage may vary :-)