Re: [Exim] use of _ in HELO... again

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Wakko Warner
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] use of _ in HELO... again
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Wakko Warner wrote:

> My problem on this has been stated by management already. rfc 2821 is
> "proposed standard" which tells them it's not accepted thus we don't follow
> it.

The RFC that specifies the syntax of host names is MUCH older than 2821.
It is RFC 952. Also note that RFC 1123 says:

2.1 Host Names and Numbers

      The syntax of a legal Internet host name was specified in RFC-952
      [DNS:4].

> So basically, it's saying here that because rfc2821 is "proposed" that using
> it is not recommended if it distrupts sensitive environment. Management
> sees mail as sensitive.
>
> Ok, now I'm getting confused...

Forget the current "drafts" or whatever (though in practice, they are
what implementors work with - like dictionaries, RFCs codify and document
current practice; they rarely invent it).

In this case, the requirement has been clearly stated since October
1985. That's nearly 18 years ago...

Philip