Re: [Exim] use of _ in HELO... again

Autor: Wakko Warner
A: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] use of _ in HELO... again
> > My problem on this has been stated by management already. rfc 2821 is
> > "proposed standard" which tells them it's not accepted thus we don't follow
> > it.
>
> The RFC that specifies the syntax of host names is MUCH older than 2821.
> It is RFC 952. Also note that RFC 1123 says:

Thanks Philip. I've sent them parts of STD0003 (RFC1123)

> > So basically, it's saying here that because rfc2821 is "proposed" that using
> > it is not recommended if it distrupts sensitive environment. Management
> > sees mail as sensitive.
> >
> > Ok, now I'm getting confused...
>
> Forget the current "drafts" or whatever (though in practice, they are
> what implementors work with - like dictionaries, RFCs codify and document
> current practice; they rarely invent it).

Very difficult to convince management of general practice They only see
"what's good for the company".

> In this case, the requirement has been clearly stated since October
> 1985. That's nearly 18 years ago...

Here's what they said about the rfc1123:
I take this to mean it can not be turned off or patched to allow
xxx_xxx to send me e-mail containing patches to our software due to
the 501 error mentioned below.

Is this trying every effor to IGNORE standards or what? =)