[Exim] Re: Configuration Question..

Author: Sandip Bhattacharya
To: exim-users
CC: 'Matt Newcomb'
Subject: [Exim] Re: Configuration Question..
+++ Kevin Reed [21/08/03 00:36 -0700]:

> Matt Newcomb
> > G'day,
> >
> > Hi. I've got a domain in a remote location. It gets
> > periodic satellite connectivity, but now we have the ability
> > to dial in with a satellite phone. That costs money, but will
> > fill in the gaps in between satellite coverage. I've got a
> > mailhost in the states doing routing for this domain and have
> > written a program to predict satellite passes. What I want
> > is to be able to have exim examine the queue, decide if there
> > is going to be a satellite pass within a set number of
> > minutes and if not dial into the remote domain, dump all mail
> > under a certain byte size and leave the rest for delivery on
> > a satellite pass later. I'd also like the flexibility to
> > have certain from addresses check immediately if there is a
> > satellite connection and if not dial in immediately.
> >
> > Any hints as to how to go about this?

If you dont mind newbie style hacks, I would:

1. Use exim to deliver outgoing mails to a maildir instead of the smtp
transport
2. Deliver mails from the maildir when the connection is established using
serialmail. (http://cr.yp.to/serialmail.html)

I dunno about sorting the mails according to size to see the best fit for a particular mail
pass. If you link time is short, then the larger mails may get stuck.

If however, you use weights for time and size of the mails, that would make
sure that the larger mails get some chance to get through. With a maildir it
is easy to sort mails accrding to size and time, and schedule them to a
different maildir to be delivered through serialmail.

I dont know about how aesthetically pleasing my solutions is. :) My 2c.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya                        http://www.sandipb.net
sandip at puroga.com