RE: [Exim] Configuration Question..

Author: Kevin Reed
To: 'Matt Newcomb', exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Configuration Question..

Matt Newcomb
> G'day,
>
> Hi. I've got a domain in a remote location. It gets
> periodic satellite connectivity, but now we have the ability
> to dial in with a satellite phone. That costs money, but will
> fill in the gaps in between satellite coverage. I've got a
> mailhost in the states doing routing for this domain and have
> written a program to predict satellite passes. What I want
> is to be able to have exim examine the queue, decide if there
> is going to be a satellite pass within a set number of
> minutes and if not dial into the remote domain, dump all mail
> under a certain byte size and leave the rest for delivery on
> a satellite pass later. I'd also like the flexibility to
> have certain from addresses check immediately if there is a
> satellite connection and if not dial in immediately.
>
> Any hints as to how to go about this?

This is the type of thing that a UUCP connection is good for. Once the mail
is in the queue, it is very easy to manipulate. Back when UUCP was really
popular (pre Internet) most connections were dialup, expensive and not
necessarily reliable. Best modem back then was the TeleBit Trailblazer...
Worked on the worst phone lines. Still have a couple in my closet. Email
then was normally much much smaller then.. With 60k being about the limit to
prevent clogging the queue. Graphical email was not thought of like it is
commonly used today.

In either case... It sounds like a fun project...